Bilberry Plus is a standardized bilberry fruit extract manufactured according to strict European quality control standards without the use of harsh solvents. Our extract is standardized to contain 25% naturally occurring anthocyanidins. The addition of red grape skin extract provides additional anthocyanidins and antioxidant support.
Bilberry, also known as European blueberry, is closely related to the American blueberry, huckleberry, and cranberry. Bilberry fruit contains many plant constituents that have anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, lipid lowering, and hypoglycemic properties. Most of the research on bilberry has focused on the flavonoid anthocyanosides, which give the fruit its blue-black color. Extracts containing anthocyanosides have been shown to enhance connective tissue health by stabilizing collagen fibers and promoting collagen biosynthesis. Anthocyanosides also decrease capillary permeability and fragility by stabilizing membrane phospholipids and increasing synthesis of mucopolysaccharides. Bilberry fruit has traditionally been used to support visual health and preliminary studies have investigated its use for improving night vision and in the treatment of ocular diseases. A double-blind, placebo-controlled study showed that subjects with myopia and eyestrain experienced improvement in subjective and objective symptoms, such as contrast sensitivity after supplementation with anthocyanosides. In another study supplementation with bilberry anthocyanins and vitamin E helped to slow the progression of cataracts.
Bilberry Plus may be a useful dietary supplement for those wishing to support circulatory or ocular health.
No adverse effects have been reported.
FORMULA (WW #10014)
One Capsule Contains:
- Bilberry Fruit Extract………………………………………60 mg
(Vaccinium myrtillus) (standardized to 25% [15mg] anthocyanidins)
- Red Grape Skin Extract (Vitis vinifera)……………..50 mg
- Citrus Bioflavonoid Complex…………………………..50 mg
Other Ingredients: Gelatin, water (capsules), rice powder, magnesium stearate, and silica.
This product contains NO added sugar, salt, dairy, yeast, wheat, gluten, corn, soy, preservatives, artificial colors or flavors.
As a dietary supplement, adults take one (1) capsule, one (1) or two (2) times daily with meals, or as directed by a healthcare professional.
Store in a cool, dry place, away from direct light. Keep out of reach of children.
- Benzie IFF, Wachtel-Galor S, editors. Herbal Medicine: Biomolecular and Clinical Aspects. 2nd edition. 2011; Boca Raton (FL): CRC Press.
- Bilberry (Vaccinium myrtillus). Altern Med Rev. 2001;6(5):501-504.
- Iherb web site. Bilberry. Available at: http://healthlibrary.epnet.com/GetContent.aspx?token=e0498803-7f62-4563-8d47-5fe33da65dd4&chunkiid=21568. Accessed 7/25/12.
- Lee J, Lee HK, Kim CY et al. Purified high-dose anthocyanoside oligomer administration improves nocturnal vision and clinical symptoms in myopia subjects. Br J Nutr. 2005;93(6):895-899.
- Main E, Curri SB, Lietti A, Bombardelli E. Anthocyanosides and the walls of microvessels: further aspects of the mechanism of action of their protective effect in syndromes due to abnormal capillary fragility. Minerva Med. 1977;68(52):3565-3581.
- Sala D, Rolando M, Rossi PL, et al. Effect of anthocyanosides on visual performance at low illumination. Minerva Oftalmol 1979;21:283–5..
These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.