This capsule provides Echinacea purpurea Root Extract 6:1, 33 mg, Goldenseal (Hydrastis canadensis) Root 200 mg, and 75 mg of an herbal proprietary blend per capsule.
This formulation has several immune enhancing ingredients including two herbs, echinacea and goldenseal. Echinacea as an herb contains many valuable medicinal compounds that support the immune system. The active constituents of echinacea work synergistically to increase the production and activity of white blood cells, lymphocytes, and macrophages. Other constituents increase the body’s production of interferon. All of these play an important part as defense mechanisms of our immune system to help ward off unwanted microbes. Eighteen studies outlined in The ABC Clinical Guide to Herbs demonstrate the positive effects of echinacea for cold, flu, upper respiratory tract infections, candidiasis and gestational safety. Echinacea stimulates the immune system to combat microbes before they dominate an organ system when doses are large enough over an initial 12-24 hour period. This increased immune system activity helps to speed wound healing, reduce inflammation, and fight off infectious organisms.
Goldenseal has a long-standing tradition of use as an herbal remedy. It has been shown to help alleviate inflammation and irritations of the mucous membranes of the respiratory, digestive, and urinary tracts. The key active ingredients of goldenseal include the alkaloids hydrastine and berberine, both of which exhibit antibacterial action against Staphylococcis aureus, Streptoccus sanguis, Escherichia coli, and Pseudomonas aeruginosa. These two alkaloids account for goldenseal’s ability to fight off unwanted microbes. Goldenseal also helps to dry up the mucous membranes.
Echinacea & Goldenseal capsules may be a beneficial nutritional supplement for individuals wishing to obtain the natural immune-stimulating properties of this standardized botanical extract combination.
FORMULA (WW #10049)
1 Capsule Contains:
- Echinacea purpurea Root Extract 6:1……………….33 mg
(Equivalent to 200 mg E. purpurea Root Powder)
- Goldenseal (Hydrastis canadensis) Root………….200 mg
- Proprietary Blend …………………………………………..75 mg
Burdock (Arctium lappa) Root; Dandelion (Taraxacum officinale) Root; Red Clover (Trifolium pretense) Blossoms; Ginger (Zingiber offinale) Root; Cayenne (Capsicum annuum) Fruit
Other Ingredients: capsules (gelatin and water), rice powder, magnesium stearate, and silica.
This product contains NO added sugar, salt, dairy, yeast, wheat, gluten, corn, soy, preservatives, artificial colors or flavors.
Adults take 1 capsule, 3-6 times daily, or as directed by a healthcare professional.
No adverse effects have been reported.
Store in a cool, dry place, away from direct light. Keep out of reach of children.
- See DM, Broumand N, Sahl L, et al. In vitro effects of echinacea and ginseng on natural killer and antibody-dependent cell cytotoxicity in healthy subjects and chronic fatigue syndrome or acquired immunodeficiency syndrome patients. Immunopharmacology 1997;35:229-35.
- Elsasser-Beile U, Willenbacher W, Bartsch HH, et al. Cytokine production in leukocyte cultures during therapy with Echinacea extract. J Clin Lab Anal 1996;10:441-5
- Melchart D, Linde K, Worku F, et al. Results of five randomized studies on the immunomodulatory activity of preparations of Echinacea. J Altern Complement Med 1995;1:145-60.
- Steinmuller C, Roesler J, Grottrup E, et al. Polysaccharides isolated from plant cell cultures of Echinacea purpurea enhance the resistance of immunosuppressed mice against systemic infections with Candida albicans and Listeria monocytogenes. Int J Immunopharmacol 1993;15:605-14.
These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.