Chelated iron is a nutritionally functional iron amino acid chelate with documented high bioavailability, excellent tolerability, and low toxicity.
Iron is one of the most abundant metals in the universe. It is also one of the most useful in biochemical functions. In the human body, iron is present in all cells and has several vital functions-as a carrier of oxygen to the tissues from the lungs in the form of hemoglobin (Hb), as a facilitator of oxygen use and storage in the muscles as myoglobin, as a transport medium for electrons within the cells in the form of cytochromes, and as an integral part of enzyme reactions in various tissues. Too little iron can interfere with these vital functions and lead to morbidity and mortality. Iron plays a role in hundreds of enzymatic reactions including those involving neurotransmitter synthesis, energy production, collagen synthesis, antioxidant support and nitric oxide synthesis.
Low iron levels in the blood are the most common and most prevalent mineral deficiency. Iron deficiency can be a very difficult diagnosis, since the symptoms such as lethargy, tiredness and dizziness, are non-specific and can be found in a variety of ailments. However, people who are most at risk, including menstruating and pregnant women, athletes, and vegetarians may have difficulty getting adequate iron supplies from their food sources alone. Chelated forms of iron have been shown in studies to be better absorbed and lead to higher blood and tissue iron levels without some of the common GI-associated side effects.
Chelated iron may be a useful dietary supplement for individuals wishing to supplement their diet with iron.
FORMULA (WW #10090)
1 Tablet Contains:
- Iron (as amino acid chelate, gluconate)……………..25 mg
Other Ingredients: cellulose, cellulose gum, vegetable stearin, dicalcium phosphate, silica, magnesium stearates, and food glaze.
This product contains NO added sugar, salt, dairy, wheat, yeast, gluten, corn, preservatives, artificial colors or flavors.
Adults take one tablet daily with meals or as directed by a healthcare professional.
Warning: Accidental overdose of iron contains products is a leading cause of fatal poisoning in children under 6. Keep this product out of the reach of children. In case of accidental overdose call a doctor or poison control center immediately.
Store in a cool, dry place, away from direct light. Keep out of reach of children.
- Bendich A. Calcium supplementation and iron status of females. Nutrition 2001 Jan;17(1):46-51
- Cupisti A, D’Alessandro C, Castrogiovanni S, Barale A, Morelli E. Nutrition survey in elite rhythmic gymnasts. J Sports Med Phys Fitness 2000 Dec;40(4):350-5
- Oldenburg B, Konningsberger JC, Van Berge Henegouwen GP, Van Asbeck BS, Marx JJ. Iron and inflammatory bowel disease. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 2001 Apr,15(4):429-438.
- Pinero D, Jones B, Beard J, Variations in dietary iron alter behavior in developing rats. J Nutr 2001 Feb;131(2):311-315.
- These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.