St. John’s Wort Plus capsules contain 300 mg of St. John’s Wort extract, standardized to contain a minimum of 0.3% total hypericin. Siberian eleutherococcus and ginkgo biloba work synergistically to enhance the proven benefits of St. John’s Wort extract.
Although St. John’s Wort has a variety of traditional uses, extracts of this flowering perennial are best known for their mood balancing properties. St. John’s Wort extract is widely recognized for its positive, supportive effects on mental and emotional function. Like many botanicals, St. John’s Wort has been used for thousands of years, but is now gaining immense popularity both in the United States and abroad. High tolerability, minimal side effects, and of course its efficacy are credited for the growing popularity of St. John’s Wort.
Numerous scientific studies have addressed the effectiveness and safety of standardized St. John’s Wort extract. The activity of St. John’s Wort extract is often attributed to its hypericin content. Interestingly, new evidence indicates that hypericin may not be solely responsible for the beneficial properties of St. John’s Wort extract. There are many biologically active components in St. John’s Wort, including: napthodianthrones (hypericin and pseudohypericin, xanthones, phloroglucinols, and various flavonoids, including flavonols and other proanthocyanidins. Which of these many other components may be active in extract is unknown. Because St. John’s Wort may act through the synergistic action of many components, it is important to ensure not just standardized hypericin content of an extract, but also the availability of these other ingredients.
St. John’s Wort Plus capsules may be a useful nutritional supplement for individuals wishing to obtain the benefits of these well-documented botanical products.
FORMULA (WW #10141)
One Capsule Contains:
- St. John’s Wort Herb Extract ………………………….300 mg
(Standardized to 0.3% [0.9mg] Hypericin)
- Siberian Eleutherococcus Root Extract……………..25 mg
(Standardized to 0.4% [0.1 mg] Eleutherosides)
- Ginkgo biloba leaves……………………………………..150 mg
Other Ingredients: capsules (gelatin and water), magnesium stearate, silica, and rice powder.
This product contains NO added sugar, salt, dairy, yeast, wheat, corn, soy, preservatives, artificial colors or flavors.
Adults take one (1) capsule one (1) to three (3) times daily with meals or as directed by a healthcare professional.
St. John’s Wort Plus may cause increased photosensitivity in some individuals. Use caution while taking this product during exposure to sunlight. If symptoms arise, discontinue the use of this product. Consult a healthcare professional before using St. John’s Wort Plus with prescription drugs.
Store in a cool, dry place, away from direct light. Keep out of reach of children.
- Cott JM. In vitro receptor binding and enzyme inhibition by Hypericum perforatum extract. Pharmacopsychiatry 1997;30 Suppl 2:108-12
- Ernst E [St John’s Wort as antideppressive therapy] Fortschr Med 1995; 113:354-5
- Kerb R, Brockmoller J, Staffeldt B, Ploch M, Roots I. Single-dose and steady-state pharmacokinetics of hypericin and pseudohypericin. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 1996;40:2087-93
- Linde K, Ramirez G, Mulrow CD, Pauls A, Weidenhammer W, Melchart D, St. John’s Wort for depression-an overview and meta-analysis of randomized clinical trials [see comments] BMJ 1996; 313:253-8
- Miller AL, St. John’s Wort (Hypericum perforatum); clinical effects on
These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease